Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Marriage in Thailand - Embassy of Finland, Bangkok : Services for Finns : Thailand


Embassy of Finland in Bangkok
Athenee Tower, 14th floor, 63 Wireless Road (Witthayu), Lumpini, Pathumwan
Tel. +66 220 787 00
E-mail:, (Migration Affairs) and (Consular Affairs)
English | Suomi | Svenska | ภาษาไทย |  | 

Getting married in Thailand

Civil marriage is the only option for a foreigner for getting married in Thailand with another foreigner or  a Thai citizen. Official marriages are conducted only in district offices.

Prior to getting married in Thailand (a civil marriage), the following documents have to be obtained from Finland:

  • a multilingual certificate of no impediment (i.e. a certificate of capacity under Finnish law to contract marriage before a foreign authority) from the register office or parish of the place of residence . Certificate of no impediment is valid four months.  
  • certificate of salary in English from employer. From an entrepreneur is requested a certificate of earnings from the bookkeeper in English, certificate of tax payment is not valid.
  • a reference letter with names, addresses and signatures of two Finns residing in Finland
  • a passport 
  • the address and occupational title according to his/her own information in written form
  • and district office where to be married, according to his/her own information.

All documents must be presented in original. The Thai partner must present his or her passport or identity card at the Finnish Embassy in Bangkok. If both parties are Finnish citizens, both must present all above mentioned documents.

In case the certificate of no impediment is legalized by a representative, must he/she represent at the embassy:

  • a free-form letter of attorney which contains names of the representative and authorizer. Letter must be signed by the authorizer.
  • identity card or passport
  • copy of authorizer's passport and residence permit or visa

After the aforementioned documents have been presented at the Finnish Embassy in Bangkok (Athenee Tower, 14th floor, 63 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330) the embassy will prepare a certificate for marriage in Thailand. When two Finnish citizens are getting married, each party will obtain an own certificate. The certificate will be written in English and EUR 30 will be charged for it. The fee is payable in Thai baht, based on the valid exchange rate confirmed by the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs. Documents are handled during embassy's customer service hours.

Certificate for marriage is address to the district office where the marriage takes place. Therefore couple is asked to choose the district office before presenting the documents at the embassy. The Bangrak Registration Office in Bangkok is the most popular one, it is located in 5 Nares Road, Bangrak and it can be reached by phone on + 66 (0)2 236 1395/2 236 1396. When two non-Thai citizens are getting married, the registration office requires them to bring an interpreter and two witnesses with them.

After the Embassy has granted the certificate, the client has to have the certificate translated into Thai and to take it to the Thai Foreign Ministry (Administration for Legalization, Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 123 Chaengwatana Road, Bangkok 10210, tel. +66 (0)2 575 1056 / (0)2 575 1057), for legalisation before the marriage is performed.


The Civil Code of Thailand grants no legal status to a cohabitation relationship, although the stipulations concerning family relationships also discuss the position of a child born out of wedlock.

Civil union

Thailand does not recognise a marriage or cohabitation relationship of people of the same sex. A civil union cannot be registered. The Civil Code mentions a real estate ownership partnership.

Print this page

This document

Updated 10/21/2015

© Embassy of Finland, Bangkok | About this site | Contact information